Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana-Benefits, Premium & Coverage
RSBY is a health insurance policy which is launched by the central govt. in the year 2008 to provide health insurance to those families who are unable to afford such policies. The BPL card holding families are the main target beneficiaries of the RSBY scheme. Any kind of medical expenses will be totally covered under the scheme. Health insurance has become one of the crucial needs of each and every family. But the BPL families were unable to join the health insurance projects due to their high insurance costs. So the central govt. has designed a unique scheme based on the needs of the BPL families and their affordability. In addition to the BPL families, the workers and labours working in the unorganized sectors will also be included in the scheme. The BPL families will be provided the insurance in form of smart cards which will contain all the data related to their insurance account.
Benefits of the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
- Health insurance is one of the most important needs a family must have to get their medical expanses reimbursed. RSBY provides cheap and easy insurance to the families belonging to BPL category of India.
- The health policy will be registered under the name of the family head of each BPL family. The other family members can become co – participants of the scheme.
- The beneficiaries joining the scheme will receive a smart card which will be required when a registered member will be hospitalized or medically treated.
- The smart card will contain all data of the beneficiary along with embedded documentation. It will be swapped for cashless hospitalization and medical treatment of the beneficiaries in the proposed hospitals and medical facilities registered under the RSBY scheme.
- Almost all major hospitals in all states of India are included in the list of empanelled hospitals under the RSBY scheme, where cashless hospitalization and treatment will be done. Beneficiaries of one state can also get insurance coverage in case of treatment in other state.
Some important data related to Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
|Sl. No.||Scheme fields||Related information|
|1||Name of insurance scheme||Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY)|
|2||Launched in||April, 2008|
|3||Previous governing authority||Ministry of Labour and Employment|
|4||Present governing authority||Ministry of Health and family welfare|
|5||Insurance type||Cashless coverage|
|6||Maximum no. of family members per policy||5 (including 3 dependable members of the policy holder)|
|7||Total coverage per annum||Rs. 30,000|
|8||Premium per annum||Rs. 750|
|10||Registration fees||Rs. 30|
|11||Additional transportation allowance during hospitalization||Up to Rs. 1,000 (Maximum limit of Rs. 100 per hospital visit)|
|12||Pre-existing illness coverage||Yes|
|13||Fund allocation for insurance policy||Central govt. 75 % and State govt. 25 %|
|14||Mode of insurance grant||Smart cards|
|15||Details embedded on RSBY smart cards||Beneficiary’s name, age, sex and photo.|
|16||Target group||BPL families, labours of unorganized sectors|
|17||Total enrollment||36 million plu|
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana premium
The govt. ahs kept very low premium rate for the RSBY scheme so that the target groups under the scheme can afford it. A fixed yearly premium rate of Rs. 750 is applicable under the RSBY scheme. The insurance funds will be shared by both central as well as state governments. 75 per cent share will be provided by the central govt. And the state govt. will have the remaining share of 25 per cent. One time registration fee of Rs. 30 will be chargeable to the beneficiaries.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana coverage
Total cashless coverage is the main ideology of the RSBY insurance policy. All hospitalization and treatment expanses will be covered. An annual coverage limit of Rs. 30,000 will be provided to each insured family under the scheme. Almost all ailments, including pre-existing ones will have equal coverage. Apart from that, transport allowance of up to Rs. 1,000 will be provided during hospitalization.