Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
The NDA government has taken quite a number of steps to develop the agricultural sectors in India. In July 2015 yet another initiative has been taken by this government to promote the farming and water harvesting in the country. The Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayi Yojana is started to develop the farming, water management, irrigation system and water harvesting in rural areas. The scheme also concentrates on boosting up the efficiency of water so that now with each drop of water more crops will be harvested. The scheme has already allocated 500 billion Rupees for next 5 years. The government has taken this step to enhance the agricultural fields and water supply so that incidents like water wastage and floods won’t take place.
Objective of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
The scheme has initiated mainly to manage the water flow to the fields where water is scares. Also there are some areas where water is abundant; to prevent such imbalances the government has started the scheme.
- Development of water management in vast farming areas
- Managing the irrigation system and develop a wide network between the water source and the area of farming
- Areas where there is no water supply nearby should have micro irrigation system
- Managing water logging in fields and developing tanks to save the rain water in monsoon season
- Balancing between the limited water areas and overflowing water areas
- Creation of more water saving system like earlier ways such as Jal mandir etc.
Benefits of PMKSY – Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- The main objective of the scheme is to provide water to each farm. The tagline of the scheme is ‘Har khet ko paani’. Also our PM Shree Modi said water efficiency should be enhanced in a way that with one drop of water we can harvest more crops than before.
- The project also promotes the micro irrigation system in various areas. Sprinklers, rain-guns, drips are some of the ways that are used in micro irrigation system.
- There are places where heavy rain demolishes the crops every year. The scheme is to enhance those areas so that the rain water can be stored for future use.
- Another objective of the PMKSY is to manage water harvesting, reuse of waste water, water management and crop alignment.
- Also the yojana promotes water conservation for sustainability.
Funding For Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
The Government has allotted 50, 000 Crore rupees to this project for next 5 years. In 2015-16, they have allotted 5,300 crores for this scheme. This 5, 300 crores are divided in several departments such as 2000 crore for Ministry of water resources, 1500 crores for Land Resources department and 1800 crores for department of agriculture and cooperation.
Implementation of the PMKSY Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
The scheme has implemented as an agricultural development project by the central government. Before funding the district and block levels the state governments need to submit the proper irrigation plan for each area of concern. Once the plan is sanctioned, the funds will be handed over to the state government. In case of North and north-east area of the nation, which is a hilly area, the ratio of funds will be 90% by central and 10% by state. For the other parts of the country the ratio is 75:25.
Other projects along with PMKSY Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
This scheme has joined three other different projects which are already started to manage water system and develop the farming in Indian agriculture. The other ongoing schemes are:
- Integrated Watershed Management Program by the ministry of rural development
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme by the water resources ministry
- Farm Water Management Components of the National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture
PMKSY – At a glance
|Launched in||1st July 2015|
|Funds allotted||50,000 crores|
|Time period||5-7 years|
|Objective||To promote water harvesting, irrigation system and water management|
Other Articles :