24×7 Power Agriculture Sector in Telangana
Telangana state government has announced about a new scheme recently. The farmers of the state will soon get free electricity in agricultural areas round the clock. The state government in a recent event said the work and installation process have been already started and by the next year it is expected to start.
Key Features Of the Scheme
- Free electricity: Though the CM of Telangana has promised to provide free electricity to the farmers of the state, a little amount of charge has to be borne by the users. Under this scheme, unlike other states, rural as well as urban areas will be benefitted.
- Trial Run: The scheme is yet to be launched in the state. As of now the trial run is going on where farmers are getting electricity for free in specific locations. This trial will run for 5-6 days.
- Pumps: Nearly 58 Lac pump sets have been distributed in various districts and zones. There are few places such as Karimnagar, Nalgonda, Medak and so on where pumps are already being sent for trail purpose.
- Expected Time to get benefits: The benefit of getting 24/7 electricity will be available from March 2018. Not only in the agricultural sector but also in urban areas as well people will get electricity for whole day unlike 6-7 hours now.
- Beneficiaries: Approximately 44,500 urban households and 7, 22,000 rural households will be benefitted from the scheme. Currently electricity supply in Telangana is much lower than other states.
The authority has already allocated Rs. 12, 000 Cr in power development projects. According to the report the demand for power in Telangana is almost 14, 000 Mega watt. By next year the authority is expected to meet the requirement through this scheme. For this scheme the state has said to allocate approximately Rs. 16, 000 Cr for the first phase.
In past 2-3 years the power development companies were supplying electricity to different regions. However, only 15 hours a day could be supplied with the said budget allocation.
The scheme 24×7 power to farmer scheme in Telangana hasn’t launched officially. Though the official announcement has been made, it is expected to launch in March-April in 2018. According to the state more than 7 Lac farmers will be benefitted from the scheme. The power supply will be supervised by the Telengana Genco and Transco group.
In the year 2014, Telangana was one of the states that had least power consumption. The state was said to have power for 6-7 hours a day in every region, urban or rural. Now with this progressive scheme authority is expecting 24 hours a day power supply to all the regions in the state.